FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I enroll my child in Saint Thomas Apostle Catholic Academy?
A: Saint Thomas Apostle Catholic Academy has ONGOING registration in grades
nursery to 7. Please call the school at (718) 847-3904 to schedule an appointment, tour the school and receive an application for registration.
There is no substitute for a quality elementary Catholic education for your child.
You will find that quality right here at St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Academy.
Check out our website - St. Thomas Apostle Catholic Academy.
Q: How do I register my child for Faith Formation/Religion Classes?
A: All Catholic children presently attending our local public schools should be receiving a religious education at home AND from the parish during these formative years.
All existing students must re-register each year to be allowed to attend classes. Children are not only registered to receive the sacraments of First Communion and Confirmation. A complete program seeks to help parents educate their children properly in the Catholic Faith.
Registration for the Fall/Winter/Spring Semester begins in June. Classes will resume in September. No student will be allowed to attend class unless registered for the current school year.
Students who register after classes begin will be marked absent for the classes they missed. There will be NO registration during class time.
Please call the Faith Formation Office to schedule an appointment for your child at 718-805-2678.
Q: I'm an adult who has not completed my Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation). How can I receive Sacraments?
A: Completing the Sacraments of Initiation, (Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation) involves a complete transformation of one's life. This transformation is accomplished by a process by which interested parties are not only educated in our faith, but challenged to live that faith. This process is known as the Rite of Christian Initiation or (RCIA) for short.
All those seeking information about the Catholic Church should know that every case is individual, there is no one category of person seeking faith/conversion. Receiving the Sacraments does involve a level of commitment and sometimes challenges to change. We are more than happy to assist you in learning God's will for you in your life.
Please contact Ms. Natalia Parra at the Faith Formation Office (718) 805-2678 to schedule an appointment to enroll in our RCIA program.
Q: How do I obtain a copy of my baptismal certificate?
A: Please call the Rectory to request a copy or complete the form below and mail the form, a donation of $5.00 and a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Saint Thomas the Apostle Church, Attn: Carmella, 87-19 88th Avenue, Woodhaven, NY 11421-2502
Q: Can I purchase a memorial to remember a loved one?
A: Yes, numerous memorials are available. Please contact the Parish Office during office hours for assistance.
The following weekly memorials are offered depending on availability:
- Sunday and Daily Masses are offered depending on availability. If a specific date is needed to remember a significant anniversary prior planning is needed. Please contact the Parish Office WELL IN ADVANCE OF A SPECIFIC DATE. The Schedule of Masses follows the Masses available to be celebrated during our regular schedule.
- Bread & Wine is $40 for a week, recorded in the weekly bulletin, and a donation card for presentation.
- Sanctuary Lamp for $20 for a week, recorded in the weekly bulletin, and a donation card for presentation.
- Purgatorial Masses are $15 each. Purgatorial Masses are 1 Mass a Month for 12 Months for the intention requested. The names of those requested are printed in the Parish Magazine, The Reporter.
- Vigil Candles at the image of a particular Saint are $1 for one day; $15 for a 30 day candle; $60 for a 6 month candle; $100 for a 1 year candle and $400 for a 5 year candle.
- Flowers which grace the Sanctuary are available weekly, depending on the Liturgical Season of the Church Year. $40. for a week, recorded in the weekly bulletin, and a donation card for presentation.
- Music Hymnals are available for memorialization by contacting the Parish Office. For a donation, the name of a loved one is recorded, as well as the donor in the insider cover.
Additional Memorials are also available by contacting the Parish Office during Business Hours.
- A variety of Mass Vestments for use at Saint Thomas. Memorialization labels are printed and sewn into the garment to remember a loved one or a family.
- The Roman Missal / (Sacramentary) , Lectionaries, Ritual Books for use at Liturgical Celebrations. All books are available in English as well as Spanish.
- Centennial Walk Commemorative Pavers
Q: How can I obtain sacramental information for ancestry research?
A: Please contact the Parish Office for detailed instructions.